Toothache Help: What to Do In Case of a Toothache

Pain from toothaches can be temporarily treated at home, but many require a Dentist's care. Find out what you can do if you have a toothache and why you should see a Dentist for treatment.

Gauge Your Pain Levels and Swelling

  • Be aware of how long your tooth has hurt. If it's been more than 1-2 days, you should see your dentist right away.
  • Check for swelling in your gums or face related to the toothache. If you see any at all, seek immediate medical attention.

Consider the Cause of Your Toothache

  • Most toothaches are related to cavities and need evaluation and treatment by a Dentist.
  • Recent dental work (such as a root canal, tooth extraction, etc.) can lead to an infection that needs to be treated by a qualified Oral Surgeon.
  • Sinus infections can also cause severe tooth pain. If you have cold symptoms with your tooth pain, you may need to be treated for a sinus infection.

Manage Your Toothache Pain

  • Follow these tips to treat the pain until you can seek proper dental or medical care.
  • Orajel™ Toothache Pain Relief Gel, Cream and Liquid contain benzocaine a topical pain reliever that adults can use and administer to children 2 years of age and older.
  • Remember that home treatment of toothaches is temporary. Most toothaches require dental or medical care. Do not avoid seeing your dentist.

See a Dentist About Your Toothache Right Away If…

  • The pain lasts longer than 1-2 days (even if it comes and goes).
  • The pain is so severe that it interferes with your daily activities or sleep.
  • You also have a fever, earache, or pain when opening your mouth.
  • You have foul-tasting drainage (sign of infection) in your mouth.
  • If you have any swelling in the gums or face, it is a medical emergency. You should seek immediate medical care.
Data on file.